Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chili Cookoff

When we moved to Texas from Colorado and into our new neighborhood, Mr. Tee was really excited to get out and meet new people in our area during the Fall chili cookoff. After all, it is tradition in our church in Colorado, why wouldn't it be tradition here in our new church group? Sadly, Mr. Tee was very disappointed when said chili cookoff never materialized. He's a big competitor in these sort of things, and plans his chili throughout the year. He was super bummed, which made me feel sad, too.
I thought about this for a while, and decided that I would throw a chili cookoff for him and our friends to compete in. I happened to mention it to my friend, Liz, and she wanted in! She got really excited to help plan it, which was so great. There's no way I could have pulled it off by myself.

We set a time to use our church's outdoor pavilion, and Liz designed the awesome invitations as well as an official logo! She's one fancy and talented designer!








We set a few rules, namely that Liz and I could not compete, and that we couldn't be involved in our spouse's chili entries. We had 4 official judges (who couldn't compete, either) who really took it seriously! The judges tasted each chili anonymously and rated them by taste, texture and heat on a scale from 1 to 5. We had about 10 or 12 entries, and with a little good-natured smack-talk, competition was fierce! We also had a potluck where everyone brought side dishes and drinks, plus with root beer floats at the end, I am certain that nobody went home hungry. Seriously....so much food! All in all, I'd say we had about 50 to 60 people in attendance total.

We had games and prizes for the kids (namely silly bands), and a bunch of prizes for the chili competitors. All entrants received a certificate stating what the judges thought of their chili, along with a beaded necklace with a red chili pepper hanging from it and a ribbon for participating. The 2nd and 3rd place winners got the same, plus a 2nd or 3rd place ribbon and a crazy-awesome apron with our logo on it! Then the 1st place winner got everything plus a little trophy and a big stuffed red jalapeno (named Jacques, naturally he's French--which I sewed!). It was quite the coveted spot to be in.


via


So I bet you are wondering who won the cookoff, aren't you? If you guessed Mr. Tee, you'd be right! Oh my goodness, when I saw that he had won (I really didn't have any idea until we tallied the scores-I wasn't there when the judges tried his), I about died! It was so funny! He had a big smile plastered on his face, and I was so proud of him :) It turned out to be a big success, and of course, it's an annual thing. I think people will bring their A-games next year!


Some of the prizes

Our winners!

It was truly a fun event, and I'm so glad we pulled it off! Until next year!

1 comment:

  1. That's just so cool! Look at Mr. Tee's smile in that picture. So great. I love the professional looking invitations and prizes too.

    ReplyDelete